Jinder Plays the Game

A favorite movie quote of mine comes from Jules Winfield, played by Samuel L. Jackson in PULP FICTION (1994):

"I can't usually get [burgers] 'cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian."

In my case, it's not about burgers.  My lady is a carnivore.  For me, it's wrestling and other televised sports.  "I can't usually watch WWE 'cause my girlfriend's an HGTV fan, which pretty much makes me an HGTV fan," is my version. 

What I can do attend is attend live events.  My lady loves the heat of the crowd.  (Get your mind out of the gutter, pervs.)  I go to as many WWE and UFC events as I can, even though I skip the vast majority of their televised shows.

The WWE live event that came to mind today is the Monday Night Raw/WWE Superstars taping of October 3, 2016, held at Staples Center in Los Angeles.  Dave Meltzer recapped it in the October 10, 2016 issue of the Wrestling Observer as "the best Raw show in a while", and my memory agrees.  (Quick non-sequitor: the Wrestling Observer/Figure Four website has no searchable archives IN THE YEAR 2017!!! [aping a noted podcast host there] I had to use Google's "site:" search to find the 10/10/2016 Observer.) 

The opener for the 10/3 Raw show was one I remember both vividly and hazily.  Vividly because it was a WWE Superstars match between Jinder Mahal and Darren Young (w/ Bob Backlund) that got the crowd into it.  Hazily because, as with most live events I attend, I made a beeline for the beer line upon entering the arena.  What I do remember through my haze (and what the previously linked WWE Network archive confirms), is that Jinder brought the heat.  I recall noticing Jinder's physique and being impressed with his work as a heel.  I sat there thinking, "Why doesn't Vince like this guy more?"  Apparently, Vince does.

In the minds of online wrestling fans, Vince's love of Jinder is cynical.  Vince wants to spread WWE's shroud across India.  Or, Vince only likes Jinder because Jinder is on the gas.  Or it could be that Vince realizes that his audience is mostly wrestling addicts, so putting enhancement talent in main events won't hurt business.  It's gotta be one of those three.  Whatever it is, that sinister wrestling promoter is at it again.

How about the possibility that Jinder finally "got it"?  He learned to play The Game, as they say in basketball?  In basketball, that means understanding spacing, rhythm & energy conservation, and playing within yourself.  In wrestling, that means diet, training, & cardio, and working a role that helps the promotion draw money.  

Is Jinder on the gas?  Is Vince trying to get into India?  Is WWE's audience more "hardcore" than ever?  Yes, Yes and Yes, are my guesses.

But as the kids say today, IDGAF.  Jinder is doing exactly what Vince has always asked his young wrestlers to do: he's grabbing the brass ring.  I say we give him his due.

Wrestlers, indy promoters, fans and (most) journalists could learn a thing or two from Jinder's push.  Or, they could keep ignoring the how to play The Game.  It's their choice and it's their chance, taken or lost.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Flyers Can't Draw Flies

Tyron Needs Time

Elite Means Elite